Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Tuesday March 9th 2021

The Aftermath 

Today once again the warnings are out for Maui.


Looks like we're in for another rainy day.  We have not ventured out by car to see the damage, just around the resort. The first thing I looked at was the ocean in front of the resort to see if the brown water was evident. It was a cloudy morning.  It's to dark.



It was hard to tell even though I took several photos at different times.  The day was warm without the blowing wind. So we decided to eat on the lanai.

Clela made crepes and again we filled the middle with strawberries and spread whip cream on top.  As I always do, I added a dribble of 100% Maple syrup.  Okay sometimes it turns into a flood of syrup but only on Pancakes or French toast.


Today we tried a different coffee brand. It's made from coffee also grown on the island.  



The  companies name is Maui Coffee Roasters. The first time I make a coffee I open the package up and take a deep breath.  It had a wonderful coffee aroma.  Then I brew my first pot of coffee, again smelling that aroma.  I knew I had the right combination of coffee grounds and water.  Then I pour our freshly brewed coffee into large cups. Oh just another smell.  Can you just smell it?  Next for us we add creamer, just the right amount.  Too much and it overwhelms the flavor.  Ahh that first cup in the morning. Believe or not, the water is a big part of the taste. We wish we could bottle it up and take it home.

We got dressed and went down to check the ocean and the runoff drainage canal. Here is what we found.



There is a lot of brown silt in the water.  This silt comes from runoff far up in the mountains where it runs past cattle farms as well as pig farms.  This is something you don't want to be in.  If you get a cut on your foot this leads to infection. 


This canal is usually clear and at times there is very little water flowing here.  Looks like the level is down about 6 inches already.  
When walking back I took this nice photo looking at Lanai Island.



We did take a long trip to the ABC store to pick up some items.  Just kidding, the store is a couple blocks up from here. We also picked up lunch and supper for the both of us.  We ate on the lanai today.  Hey it's not raining.

I had a egg salad sandwich.  It was so big I only ate half.  Very good.



  Clela had musubi and a half piece of chicken.  

I the afternoon we did take a walk.  Before going out we thought should we go? Hmm




 Looks like rain.  Let wait. We finally did go out.  Since 2009 we went with the family to the Hawaiian Islands and Sam saw this red headed cardinal .She loved this bird so I always look for it and take a picture.  This was our first sighting this year.


We went over to a bench near Kaanapali Beach Club.  
I took this photo of a sail boat near Lanai.  Since I was here I wanted to get photos of the the breach in the sand bags.



I felt bad to see this.  They made a huge investment in this area.  The sidewalk had washed out into the ocean.  Their work brought back a great beach.  Hope they find a solution.  My idea would be to add some plants like the ones that grow along our part of the beach.  Got to say we don't have a beach like what we had before.  Hard to fight the ocean and climate change.
On my way back this is what I saw.



Yup that's right people in the ocean, not swimming just walking. What can I say.

For supper we had Chicken Teriyaki From the ABC store over mashed potatoes.  Very good.  Not bad since we paid six dollars for this.

Thinking with all the rain and clouds we wouldn't see a sunset, boy was I wrong.




Oh, before I go, I got one more Photo


See Ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment