Thursday, February 5, 2015

2015

Day 1 & 2
He is back, oh no, I though we got rid of him last year.  Yes I am back for another year.  I'm writing because my two daughters Chris and Kathy asked me to.  Well here we go.

Day 1
It is always hard to sleep the night before you go on vacation, even though we have been doing this for many years.  Well no exception.  It was great our snow removable people were there to clean the three inches of snow in our driveway.  That was after all at midnight.  I told you it's hard to sleep.

We arrived at the airport on time.  Our plane was there on time.  Boy that's a first in the wonderful world of air travel.  When we know the seat arrangement for the plane we take seats A and C.  Here is our strategy, no one wants to set in the middle of strangers.  It works most of the time.  Our trip to Atlanta takes 90 minutes.  We were all set.  The doors were about ready to close.  My wife strategy works.  Wait, wait some people just came in.  Go by us, please.  Nope, there stands this big back dude and his girl friend.   He is very polite, well dressed, hey he could be an NFL wide receiver.  He has the height and weight, 6'-2, maybe 210.  Clela says to him "do you want the window or isle seat", he says no. She said "you mean you want to set in the middle?"  He says yes this is my first flight.  He sets down and Clela says "are you afraid? ", he shakes his head yes.  You see he and his girl friend were on the Delta flight the day before that had mechanical problems and they could only catch a flight the next day.  Thanks Delta, fix your planes will ya.  Clela's strategy would have work.

The plane is now taxing out for take off.  Our young man is terrified.  Clela say to him "do you want me to hold your hand" and he says no.  We are now climbing to our flying height.  He puts his jacket over his head.  He leans forward placing his head on the seat in front of him.  He says there for a while.  Clela thinks he is praying.  He finally sets back with his jacket flying all over the place.  Clela and I start to talk to him.  Maybe we can take his mind off his worries.  Clela says where are you going.  He says we're taking a little vaca, his words, to South Carolina.  We want to go to the beach and see the ocean.  Well that didn't work. The jacket went over his head.  Then I saw a light go on under his jacket.  He had is phone out and was checking his text.  We went on and the jacket came off and he finally settled back.  After we landed I saw him in the terminal.  He said not bad for my first flight.  I said you did great.  Here is a young man from Wisconsin who never left our state and all he wants to do is see the ocean.

Our next plane left on time.  Our plane was a new Airbus 330.  We payed extra for added leg room and we got it.  However PLEASE, PLEASE, lock me up if I ever choose to fly 10 hours straight.  That by far is the worst thing to do.  Don't get me wrong the plane was great, the seats were plush, the service was great, but....  I remember when we use to fly people would have there window shades up to look out.  Now days everyone has there shades down so they can watch TV, play a movie or play a game.  Don't get me wrong that's great, I did it, Clela did it.  But to set there for 10 hours with the lights turned down left me batty.  It is like setting in this tube going 400 miles an hour in the dark.  Man that was hard.

We got to Oahu in less than 10 hours, got something to eat and waited for our next plane.  Our plane was late arriving but left on time.  Go figure.  Planes on the islands are like taxes, they just keep on the move and never stop.  Our plane has gone through the mill.

We sat in the back role 25 out of 26.  Yes that is an engine.  If there was an open window I could have touched the engine.  I would say it was maybe 6" to 8" from me.  If you put your head against the window and looked up you could see the inner skin of the plane.  Yes the bulk head of the plane had separated from rest of the plane.  No worries, be Happy.

Day 2 Doing the necessary things.

Did you ever notice even after being so tired the night before you still get up very early.  I guess it has something to do with the fact we are now five hours different from you, but that doen't matter.  We got up made some coffee and sat on the lanai.  Chris the birds are back and making a racket. After finishing our coffee we went for a walk.  As we were walking out to the ocean the warm sun was warming our backs.  Under a big tree there was lots of red headed cardinals, you know Sammy's birds.


 After the walk we went to C.J. for breakfast, one of our favorites places to eat.
Great food.  You know me I like the Mac nut pancakes.

We wanted coffee, coffee grown on Maui, so we went to the Maui grown Company Store.

Here we brought two types Maui Mokka for me and Peaberry for Clela.  You know we had to taste test first.
Our last stop of the morning was Safeway for food.  You know when I'm on vacation I've got to know where my next meal is coming from.  At the check out I started to bag when I heard someone say I'll do that for you sir.  I said okay and turned around to see a fireman bagging for me.  Man that was great.  I thanked him.  As I was walking out of the store I thought man I must be getting OLD.  Upon returning the cart to the store, there he was still bagging.  I thought I'm okay, I'm not that OLD. 
See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment