Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 15 - Map vs GPS IPhone

Today marks the half way point of our vacation.  Looking back it seems like a long time since we returned the Jeep.  Being Wednesday we went to the market for some fruit and banana bread.  We go past a guy down the road who also sell fruit, so we bought some mangos from him. 

Our goal was to find a place to eat in a small city up north.  We know reading Maui Revealed gives you quaint little places that are nuggets, a good places the experts like to go.  On your way to Iao valley we go through Wailuka our destination for lunch at Stillwell.  To quote from the book, "Think of it as a once grand hub of the islands activity that's now in the shadow of Kahului. Kahului is the city we few into.  Wrong this is a big city, not a small quaint place, but growing.  We went past Stillwells our first time.  Clela was in a learning curve using my phone.  We found the place.

It is a small place that serve food and has a bakery. 

The food was ok, nothing special.  Hey the guy in the picture has a Packer shit on.

Next we were onto a place we have never been before, to a place of the remains of Halekil and Pihana Helaus. Whoa, this is former temples where humans were sacrificed.  We found the place with the help of both book and GPS.  We found it in a subdivision.  We parked our car and went through a closed, locked gate.  Not a very good place for Clela to walk, straight up a hill.  She made it up the first part and stoped to rest.  I said I would go up the rest and take some pictures.  I did, straight  up more and more.  Here are some pics.
As you can see the place has not been kept up.
Click on it to see what it looked like.


Not much to see.  This is where it gets scary.  I looked off in the distance and I could see people who were spending a lot of time about a mile away.  So off I went.  The grass was high and it was hard to follow.  There were several paths to go but I with my tracking skills (Indian Blood) went on looking at bent grass.  I said this must be the way.  And then I saw someone standing by a group of trees and I knew I must be in the right place.  When I broke through the trees and tall grass there were five people there.  What was going on.  What did I walk into.  There were three people near me.  I took a quick glance at the three.  The two on the outside had wooden spears, for real.  Clela by now got up to the top and looked over my way.  She claims the one in the middle had a red robe on.  I dare not look.  There were two in front of me, the man sat in a chair with his eyes closed or was he in a trans.  A women bent over him with her hand on his stomach.  I was scared a little. I dare not take any pictures.  I thought I better get out of here.  I did stop and take a picture of Clela.  I was hoping I got a picture of the two, but I didn't.

I didn't crop this picture so if you click on it and zoom in that little dot on the hill is Clela.  I left and walked back.  The hairs on my arms were up.  Was that a human sacrifice?  I walked back to Clela very fast, all the time I thought I heard noises to my left.  Was someone following me or was my mind making this up.  I got back to Clela as she was walking back to the car.  I explained what I saw.  Hmm, was this for real.  I am telling you what I saw, now you make up you mind.  That's it for the day.  I wished I had the courage to have taken so pictures for what I saw.  But it is what it is.  See Ya!




o

No comments:

Post a Comment