Friday, February 21, 2014

Day 24 - Whale Watching

Oh no, run gramps is going to show his pictures of whales.  Hide.  Pictures and pictures of humps.
We checked in at 8:15 in the morning.  The line was going out the door.  People were getting impatient waiting. Not, however there was a volunteer making sure only one person stood in line.  We went down to the harbor and waited to board.  Now one thing I have notice on this vacation is people tend to start talking to us.  I know it must be my pretty face.  This puts grams on stage.  We had people in front of us on tour from Indianapolis a doctor and has wife.  Clela really bonded with her.  Behind us were two couples, one from Madison and the other from Minneapolis.  Put friendly people together and Clela takes over with her stories, like she did when she was working.  She gives advice and a shoulder for there woes.  She really shines. 
As we got on the boat we sat in the back like we did the first time you were here.  A women across was a kindergarten  teacher from Illinois, who taught for years in Wisconsin.  Two people down from us were from Fond du Lac.  We talked about living there. 


Right away we found a mother and baby whale.  Those people in that boat had an great show.  They we in the process of transferring to the sub.  The mother and baby were right next to the boats and on the surface.  It was like the mother teaching her baby.  Now baby girl or boy this is a boat, look up and see people.  Good, right??  I said to the doctor it's great to be on the right side of the boat.  I told him about the first time we went out and saw a head bob right next to the boat.  I thought we would always see this, little did I know.  He said he has been out and saw none.  It is a crap shoot.  The wife was pouring out her soul to Clela.   To make a short story short her ex just committed suicide.  She was depressed because her daughter was just with him.
After seeing the mother and baby whales we set off to chase more whales.  This is where things went down hill.  The boat always pointed the front of the boat towards the whales.  They got amazing photos.  Why do you ask, well that is easy.  They were the people with the large lens cameras and oh did I mention The Pacific Whale Foundation Members.  Ya, ya. Do I sound like a Canadian?  "You betcha."  You know the people who get on the boat first.  Now I could show you my best, ok here is one.
I told you just humps.  That is the best.  We will continue to search for that great picture.  We had a competitive pod right in front of us.  A competitive pod is where you have more then one male.  Their was eight in this pod.  Now they crossed in front of the boat with hard blowing, fast moving, blue bobbles.  It was great to see standing on my toes.  I had no chance to take a pic.  This mother could have had her pick of males.  Sorry, but that is the facts Jack.  To be sure the father of that baby was no where around.  The completion is so fierce the some of the males have scars on their head, some bleeding.  We went back to port with Clela and I sitting inside, to much sun for her.  We finished our morning at our now favorite place.
How did you guess.  What did we eat?
Man are you good.  When I ordered I said cheeseburger, cheeseburger, Coke, Coke and the waitress said thank you, thank you. I thought I was real cool right.  When we got our bill there was a card inside to tell you how much to tip.  Now I was feeling old.  Did she have to do that, I'm hurt.  I am a good tipper.  So I circle the correct number and added a note, I know!  I also added the same on the ticket.  Now I know "us old people," have a bad rap for bad tipping.  Now I do feel my age.  Maybe I should dye my hair, hey maybe blond, ya that it blond.  We hit a few shops down town.  Chris FaceTimed us as we were shopping and she did a little jewelry shopping with my phone.  Now I know the girls Alyssa, Reagan, Katie and Sam did buy something there.  I remember Katie and I going into this place.
 

Each time we drive down highway 30 we see a sign for a Printing Museum, so we decided to go there.  We drove up the hill and up the hill, I thought we were heading into the mountains.  At the top of the hill and by the Lahaina High School we turned around.  Looking down at the ocean it was a beautiful view.  We stopped and tried to take a picture but it just didn't turn out.  Ok, ok Clela took the picture and all you could see was this big orange cone.  On the way down We found the Maui Coffee Company Store.

It's right next to the smoke stack.
We went inside the store and sampled coffee.  She had 5 different types.  She just kept giving us samples.  After the fourth and getting a coffee biz we cried uncle.  You know the first sample was the best, so we bought some.   After buying some coffee the girl asked us how we found out about the store, it's a little off the beaten track.  I said we saw the sign on the road, Clela said we were looking for the Printing Museum.  It was in the High School oh so close.  We got back to our condo tired, but a great day.  That's all folks, see ya!






No comments:

Post a Comment